Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Balancing Act

Good afternoon! I mentioned yesterday that today is all about balance... how to find it, keep it, even sometimes struggle with it. Being a Libra, balance is everything, but conversely, I am what one might call Type-A... the two don't mix well together, let me tell you. Designating time for family, school work, social life, working out, blogging, review sessions, and clubs has been incredibly difficult to desipher. I'm going to be honest, family and school work come first and social life is essentially at the bottom of the totem pole. The reason for my lack of balance comes from my incredible amount of homework, demanding classes and being a complete stress ball all the time. There are times when I feel like I could just sit for a whole day and do work, rarely thinking about making plans with people, but I've realized over the past few weeks that things need to change, and if I want to make the most out of my college experience, then I have to make time for everything... well, try to!

Pinterest

Part of the reason why this semester has been so crazy is because I'm broadening my horizons to eventually create balance for myself. There are certain things that I feel that I have successfully mastered and others, not so much. 

My balance goals...

1. Limit the amount of stress from school work- Like I said before, I am at a great school for a reason and am going to keep up the hard work. What I am going to try to do however is set times throughout the day for work and times for friends. Last week I ended up eating lunch in my room multiple times because of the work load, but this week I've made it to the dining hall for almost every meal. Want to know why? Because I set lunch, dinner and breakfast time for doing fun things with friends, not for doing work. 

2. Expand my friend horizon and try to meet new people - While I can say that I have some close friends, I wouldn't say that I have a group per se. In order to expand my friend network, I have joined many new clubs (ACES, Biology Club, M.D Fox Mentoring, I'm also the secretary of the Pre-Med Club) these activities keep me busy and allow me to meet like-minded people. I have also been spending much more time in the library, there I see a ton of people that I know! In addition, leaving my door open allows dorm mates to stop by and say hi often and as a result I feel like I am becoming closer with people in my dorm too!

3. Finding time for me- This is one of the harder parts of balancing my life because homework and social life take a great chunk of time but I have decided that I am no longer going to be a grandma and go to bed at 9 PM and take another hour or two a night to do something that I enjoy. I make sure that my homework is done by 9 and then I spend the rest of my evening watching a show, or creating a blog post, or even spending some time on Pinterest. This time is relaxing and calming and allows me to do something for myself! 

How do all of you find balance? Any advice.


1 comment:

  1. Balance is hard to keep but imperative. Working hard is ok if you have a pay off you enjoy in the end...keep working at it..it will come. xo

    ReplyDelete