Monday, October 14, 2013

Make the Most of It


It's hard to believe that October is flying by so quickly. Yesterday marked the half way point for my semester abroad and I'm still in shock that I've been living in Copenhagen for that long already! I've learned so much in my time abroad so far. One of the main things that I have realized is how important it is to live in the moment. You have to appreciate everything that comes your way and learn from every experience. 

After two months of living "The Danish Life" I've realized that the Danes are present in the moment for the most part... In the USA everyone is always looking towards the future. Jobs are meant to serve as jumping off points for something better, social climbing is a daily event and the concept of a bucket list is something everyone always strives to. Don't get me wrong I am sure that these same things do happen in Denmark to some extent, but overall it seems to me like the Danes are happy with what they have. They appreciate their job that they've had forever, they stay in the same apartment their whole lives and really make it home, instead of asking for a bonus at their jobs each year they ask for additional vacation time to explore the world with their families and friends. 

 Clearly there is a reason why the Danes are voted the happiest people and I'm pretty sure the fact that they are appreciative and content with what they have is a huge part of it. I've also realized that the Danes go into everything with little to no expectation rather they try to remain present and enjoy every situation to the fullest. My experience abroad has been very much about this... I came to Denmark with no expectations of what it would be like. I knew little about the country and barely anything about the lifestyle. Even when traveling around to other countries, I've just gone in to each trip with no expectations and try and soak up as much as I can and remain as present as possible. I have to say, this is the way to go and is certainly going to be the outlook I am going to take for the rest of the trip! 

Have a wonderful day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment