Friday, September 25, 2015

The Ants Come Marching In...


~

You might be wondering where on earth this post is coming from... well I have yet another funny story for you. 

Before I arrived on the island I would read articles saying that students quickly build a list of "Only in Grenada" happenings and I have one to add for you. And I can assure you my list is rapidly growing each day. Today though was the most comedic of them all. 

As I was studying in my usual study room this morning I noticed little ants crawling around on my desk. They would walk one by one and I'd kill them and keep working away. Then I quickly realized that the ants were climbing out of my computer, from the keyboard, from the hinge... from everywhere. 

Yes, I said it. I had ants in my computer. 

After looking into the hinge of my two month old MacBook Pro I became alarmed. There were ants crawling in and out!! In medical school your computer is your life, all of my lecture notes, study notes and tests and quizzes are on the computer. So I began ferociously killing as many as I could, packed my stuff and ran in the hot caribbean sun to the library IT center. With no help provided there, I continued to kill the ants myself and found a student who works on Macs to take a peak after class. 

Thankfully the ants marched out just about as quickly as they marched in. 

As I was explaining this story to my friends in class one asked what ants even mean. So of course I took it upon myself to look up the symbolism for ants and found the above quote. I'd say those words are pretty suiting for a medical student like myself. I can't help but wonder if those ants came marching for a reason... they didn't cause too much trouble just enough to get my attention and to appreciate the symbolism. 

I truly believe that there are certain people, signs and symbols that come into your life for a reason and my marching ants was one of them. 


1 comment:

  1. Often times the signs are there if we are just open to see them!

    ReplyDelete